Imagine my 256 colors of surprise when one of my long ago favorite GeoCities web sites appeared in a search result.One of the first social media platforms, or as one commenter noted "the first instance of proving you could have millions of users and still not make any money," Yahoo purchased GeoCities in 1999.
Several mediocre attempts to repurpose the nearly terabyte of content - now of indeterminate ownership - utterly failed to give users access to this rather historical archive of some of our earliest 'clicks and grunts' on the web.
A group calling itself Oocities has exhumed this body of work and tried to monetize it yet again with even more poorly written ad script. Yeesh!
At least we can get to it more easily now.
As was the case with our first Blast from the Past, here you will find broken links, missing images, slow loading and other kinks galore.
Low Power & Experimental Radio
- Medium Wave Alliance - starting with what was one of the greatest low power radio sites on the web (before mine, of course) - lots of MWA content I haven't seen on other MWA mirrors.
- SCWIS - last iteration of an early radio site
- GCC radio Broadcasting and Monitoring Corporation
- Global Communications Commission (GCC) - webpage For Radio Listeners and Engineering
- GCC Radio - the Official Page of the Radio Science Observers Radio Network
- Radio Brandy California - a radio station and broadcast workshop
- Radio QRP - the Art of Low Power and Clandestine Operations
- 101.5 FM - the way radio should be
- Adam Marcus - many of his article links still work
- Infos for Transmitters - AM & FM radio broadcasting transmitters
- Links for achieving Diverse Radio - Sites Referred to in "Radio Free Richmond Project"
- RADIO - The name says it all
- Straight Out Back - professional broadcast and studio services
- Low Power FM Transmitter Circuits - Here are some files, schematics, and Usenet posts
- Homebrew Broadcast Warehouse Based LPFM Transmitter
- Welcome to Henry Electronics - Various
- Obnostic Microbroadcasters Archive - A few working links
- AF4K, Bry's Page! - His home page wasn't archived, so the file list is shown
- Completely Configurable Transmitter - designed for research and proof-of-concept applications
- VC-1000 Wireless FM Microphone Transmitter - from KLC Electronics
- Straight Out Back - audio production for radio and television
- Bry's Pirate Radio Station - For fans of SHORTWAVE, MW-AM and FM band "Free Radio"
- Rebel Radio - A Brief History of Pirate radio
- The Haunted Studio - revisits the golden age of radio, off shore pirate radio
- The Radio Jackie North Web Site - the story of Free rock radio in the north west of England
- Anthony's Radio Pages - info on free radio stations
- Yellowbeard' Gashy Website - the Original Edition - Featuring Pirate Radio
- Dragan Nikolic Page - a page about some of my interests
- Pirate - old school hyperlink page
- Tomaz's Schematics Collection - the best circuit schematics that I've collected
- Internet Radio On - broadcast over the Internet
- PeerCast - A free simple and reliable software client using a Peer-2-Peer network
- Internet Radio Broadcasting – Technical Feasibility
- Netcasting - Internet Audio
- Internet Radio - Creating Your Own Internet Radio Station
Many of these sites have content from the mid-nineties - before the dot com crash, the new millennium, 9/11, i-Anything or Wi-Fi/broadband. We used MHz, MB, just plain "Office" and Windows 95. We surfed with Netscape Gold at 56kbps. Compaq was king and Apple was in trouble. Cell phones made phone calls.